Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Healthy Habits - post series

Since recently becoming pregnant again, I have attempted to incorporate several new habits into my lifestyle, to take my health status to the next level. I've had varying levels of success thus far, and it has led me to the conclusion that the key to health is habit. Your daily habits. The habits you grew up with, just as your child is learning his habits from you. To change your health, you need to change your habits.

The philosophy is simple; a habit is just something you do all the time. The more healthy habits you gradually incorporate into your day, the less room there will be for habits that degrade your health. I think this is a much easier and more attainable goal than adhering to a diet. When you change a habit, say, your breakfast habit, you understand your reason for doing so. You have replaced a health degrading habit with a healthy habit.You get a result, e.g. increased energy levels, you begin to do it voluntarily, rather than out of obligation to a 'diet plan'. It slowly becomes your habit, and voila, you've increased your health in a sustainable way.

A child's preferences reflect the habits of the family. I hear from mothers who complain that their toddlers prefer processed foods to whole food. This reflects the food choices made regularly within that household. I also know many families whose toddlers prefer whole foods, simply because that's all they've ever eaten. Antonio enjoys sharing my herbal teas with me! I love watching him drink half a mug of nettle and rose hip tea. Herbal tea is one of my favourite health habits, especially in winter. It's wonderful to know I'm passing this on to him.

So I'm going to do a series of posts on healthy habits to incorporate into your day. They will all be 'do's' rather than 'avoids', or healthier alternatives to your current habits. I'll include things like shopping choices, take away choices, meal and snack choices, alternatives to processed meals, and home treatments for minor ills. If you can incorporate them into your lifestyle, one by one, you will notice a huge difference in your health.

Snack on a hot day
As always I'd love your feedback, so please leave a note in the comments bellow. If there's a health habit you'd like to break, if you have one to suggest I cover, or if you have made a habit change you'd like to share, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment